Dr David Coles
David Coles was born in the Staffordshire village of Wombourne. After studying maths, physics and computing at King Edward VI sixth form college he embarked on a 4-year physics degree at the University of Durham. He graduated in 2007 with the award of MSci (hons), and applied for a PhD with the Electronic and Photonic Molecular Materials group at the University of Sheffield.
His PhD project was titled "Polaritons in Strongly Coupled Organic Microcavities". Under the supervision of Prof. David Lidzey, his work concerned the design, fabrication and analysis of organic optical microcavities. The project involved collaboration with a number of European universities, including FORTH (University of Crete), Politecnico di Milano, University of Southampton and Imperial College London.
After completing his PhD in the summer of 2011, he began work as a postdoctoral research associate in the EPMM group for the "Polariton" project. This is a collaboration between the EPMM group at Sheffield and Pavlos Lagoudakis' LHO group at the University of Southampton. The project intends to study various organic/hybrid organic-inorganic microcavity structures with the hope of better understanding polariton dynamics in such stuctures and observing nonlinear polariton phenomena such as polariton lasing.
- "Temperature dependence of the upper-branch polariton population in an organic semiconductor microcavity." David M. Coles, Paolo Michetti, Caspar Clark, Ali M. Adawi and David G. Lidzey. Phys Rev B 84, 205214 (2011)
- "Vibrationally Assisted Polariton-Relaxation Processes in Strongly Coupled Organic-Semiconductor Microcavities." David M. Coles, Paolo Michetti, Caspar Clark, Wing Chung Tsoi, Ali M. Adawi, Ji-Seon Kim, David G. Lidzey. Adv Func Mat 21, 3691–3696 (2011)
- "Ultrafast polariton population build-up mediated by molecular phonons in organic microcavities." N. Somaschi, L. Mouchliadis, D. Coles, I. E. Perakis, D. G. Lidzey, P. G. Lagoudakis, and P. G. Savvidis. APL 99, 143303 (2011)
- "Ultrafast polariton relaxation dynamics in an organic semiconductor microcavity." Virgili, D. Coles, A. M. Adawi, C. Clark, P. Michetti, S. K. Rajendran, D. Brida, D. Polli, G. Cerullo, and D. G. Lidzey. Phys Rev B 24, 245309 (2011)
- "A Characterization of the Raman Modes in a J-Aggregate-Forming Dye: A Comparison between Theory and Experiment." David M. Coles, Anthony J. H. M. Meijer, Wing C. Tsoi, Martin D. B. Charlton, Ji-Seon Kim, and David G. Lidzey. J Phys Chem A 114, 11920-11927 (2010)
- "Role of intramolecular dynamics on intermolecular coupling in cyanine dye." T. Virgili, L. Lüer, G. Cerullo, G. Lanzani, S. Stagira, D. Coles, A. J. H. M. Meijer, and D. G. Lidzey. Phys Rev B 81, 125317 (2010).